A collective project focused on ‘Making the web better’.
Welcome to the Opquast website. Opquast is a training company, but it is also a larger collective project which was established in 2000, not long after the web was discovered.
Opquast is just one entity among many organizations, companies, and professionals who have the same goal; to improve the web. There are many of us who believe in this mission, which is admittedly very broad, but after 20 years in the business, we are certain of our role and our missions.
The humans participating in the Opquast project are intent on making the web better. Sometimes they work at Opquast, but commonly they are web professionals, often Opquast certified, who are using the best practices, spreading the checklists, and training and educating others. They may specialize in security, privacy, accessibility, ecodesign, UX, or a related field.
One thing all these humans have in common is they love the web, and want to improve the quality and access to it, for everyone!
Opquast’s three missions.
Mission #1: Create checklists to assure the quality of sites
The founders of Opquast are quality specialists. They have no opinion on the subjective quality aspects of websites; they only assess objective elements. And that’s why, at Opquast, we define best practices, assemble them in checklists and document them to make repositories.
Mission #2: Equipping web professionals with a common cultural foundation and certification
Web projects mobilize professionals with a wide range of profiles: technical, literary, marketing, sales, etc. What do they share? How do they communicate? What is their common vocabulary? Over the years, Opquast has created a toolbox including a web quality model (VPTCS), a reference checklist, and a glossary to help web professionals work and communicate more effectively and efficiently. Finally, Opquast created a certification to verify that web professionals master these fundamentals. Opquast’s challenge: to provide all web professionals worldwide with a basic and necessary culture for all web projects. This isn’t to say that one can become a web expert only by using Opquast’s toolbox and becoming certified. Our tools are meant to help expand on a professional’s existing education and training.
Mission #3: Animating an ecosystem with individuals and organisations intent on improving the web
Training is good, but applying best practices is even better. To achieve this, Opquast leads an ecosystem of certified people, companies, schools, training centers, agencies and tool creators. They want to make the web better, and Opquast is there to help them.
What we think and what we believe in.
- The web is a fantastic and valuable tool.
- Web professionals need to understand what’s happening on the other side of the screen.
- A modern web project requires the management of various subjects and risks.
- No one can put themselves in the users’ shoes.
- Making good websites is not easy.
- Standards are both constraints and assets.
- Web professionals have a responsibility.
- Life is continuous improvement and continuous improvement is life.
Who is Opquast?
- Company created in 2000, headquartered near Bordeaux, France
- 100% remote
- 100% online certification
- Web quality specialists
- Authors of the Web Quality book, the VPTCS model (2001), the Web Quality Best Practices Checklist (CC-BY-SA – 4 versions since 2004)
- Network of web professionals from companies, universities, agencies, IT service providers, schools and trainers gathered under the desire to “Make the web better”